Art - Associate of Arts Degree
Provides training in art fundamentals to prepare students for transfer or to pursue a career in the arts. The core program provides an introduction to various aspects of studio art and art history, from traditional to the contemporary. Students can create their own emphasis in graphic design, 3D design, sculpture, printmaking, digital video production or studies in a contemporary media such as installation art or/and performance art.
Students must complete at least six units from the following courses:
Total Credit Hours: 27.00
Lower division requirements for students interested in transferring to a four-year institution in this field may differ from associate degree requirements. Prospective transfer students should complete the general education and lower division requirements of the school to which they will be transferring. See a counselor for details. Information is also available at www.assist.org.
A student receiving a degree in this field will be able to:
- Develop a habit of critical inquiry and research relevant to creative processes.
- Foster intellectual curiosity and experimentation in different art medias.
- Express an understanding of contemporary issues in arts through visual, written and spoken communication.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge in contemporary art and its historical relevance.
- Recognize and interpret the art from different periods from prehistoric to the contemporary time with the focus on the Western Culture.
- Demonstrate critical thinking in the analysis of both familiar and unfamiliar works of art.
- Demonstrate knowledge in basic design vocabulary related to both 2D and 3D design.
- Integrate the knowledge of a pictorial composition and express it in a variety of art projects from figuration to abstraction.
- Demonstrate knowledge in a perspective drawing.
- Display drawing skills in a variety of media and techniques.
- Exhibit the understanding of the human figure and proportions in a relationship to a space and light source.
- Demonstrate an understanding of color theory and develop adequate skills in color mixing.
- Incorporate the variety of painting styles as well as painting media/techniques.
- Practice safe working procedures.