History - Associate of Arts Degree
Students must complete at least six (6) units from the following courses:
Total Credit Hours: 18.00
Lower division requirements for students interested in transferring to a four-year institution in this field may differ from associate degree requirements. Prospective transfer students should complete the general education and lower division requirements of the school to which they will be transferring. See a counselor for details. Information is also available at www.assist.org.
A student receiving a degree in this field will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding that History shares with English a narrative tradition that relies on the written word to tell its story by evaluating documents.
- Discuss and appraise the influence of multiple factors or "causes" in an historical event or development.
- Recognize and evaluate the influence of contingency or chance in an historical event or development.
- Compare, contrast and evaluate the influence or role of actions or inaction in determining an outcome in an historical event or development.
- Considering History's multi discipline nature, describe and appraise the role that "environment" (physical, social, cultural, technological and economic, etc.) may play in an historical event or development.
- Critique and evaluate an historical event or development as a study of human activity and conclude how it informs us about human nature.
- Analyze and evaluate an historical event or development that demonstrates the fact that at times we cannot have absolute certainty about what happened in the past.