Fine Arts - Associate of Arts Degree
The Associate of Arts Fine Arts degree focuses on the development of creative expression and critical inquiry in music and the arts. Students will appreciate the value of artistic expression and human creativity in the fine arts and evaluate them as part of human culture and human creativity. This degree is multidisciplinary giving students the knowledge and experience in theatre arts, the visual arts, music and dance.
A minimum of six (6) units must be taken from the following courses in at least two disciplines.
Students must complete at least (12) twelve additional units from the following courses in at least two disciplines:
Total Credit Hours: 18.00
Students planning to transfer to a four-year university are cautioned that this degree may not meet all of the lower division requirements for transfer into a particular major; however, through careful educational planning with a counselor, this degree would offer a solid foundation in the transfer process. Students should consult with a counselor for specific information regarding their intended major at the university of their choice.
A student receiving a certificate in this field will be able to:
- Express a knowledge of historical figures, trends, styles, and events related to a Fine Arts field (Art, Music, Theatre).
- Produce work that demonstrates skill within a Fine Arts medium, using techniques and methods appropriate to an intentional result.
- Consider the role of art making and its place in the larger social context.
- Produce a tangible product demonstrative of one’s work (portfolio, research paper, exhibition, stage work, etc.) demonstrating skills and/or knowledge related to a specific Fine Arts discipline (Art, Music, Theatre).
- Demonstrate the ability to apply critical thinking skills to a specific Fine Arts discipline (Art, Music, Theatre).