Generally, students may take a course only once. Students may repeat a course:
- If the course number includes the notation x2, x3, or x4, then the course may be taken 2, 3, or 4 times, respectively.
- If a course is required to meet a legally mandated training requirement as a condition of continued paid or volunteer employment, the student may repeat the course upon approval through the college’s petition process.
- If the student earned a substandard grade (“D,” “F” or “NP”), or was assigned a withdrawal (“W”), he/she may attempt the course two additional times in an effort to successfully complete the course. In cases where the student earns a letter grade (“A,” “B,” “C,” “D” or “F”) in the subsequent attempt, the most recent grade earned will be computed in the cumulative GPA and the student’s academic record so notated (i.e. previous grade will not count). Students may attempt a course more than three times only upon approval through the college’s petition process. (Title 5, Section 55024)
- If the student earned a standard grade (“A,” “B,” “C” or “P”), he/she may repeat the course one time only upon approval through the college’s petition process. Grades issued under this petition will not be counted in the computation of the GPA.
- If the student was assigned an excused withdrawal (“EW”) or a military withdrawal (“MW”). Attempts receiving these designations will not count towards the maximum number of allowed attempts.
- If there has been a significant lapse of time since the student earned credit for the course and another institution of higher education to which the student seeks to transfer has established a recency requirement which the student will not be able to satisfy without repeating the course, the student may repeat the course upon approval through the college’s petition process.
Courses in which an incomplete (“I”) has been recorded may not be repeated until an evaluative grade has been recorded.
Student permanent records shall reflect all work attempted so that the student’s transcript is a true and complete academic record. (SBCCD Administrative Procedure 4225 and 4227)