Pass/No Pass (P/NP)

Courses may be offered in either or both of the following categories:

  • courses in which all students are evaluated on a “pass/no pass” basis.
  • courses in which student elects to be graded on a “pass/no pass” basis upon registering or by the end of the fourth week of instruction for regular term courses or no later than 30% of a term length for short term courses.

Students electing to be graded on a “pass/no pass” basis are responsible for all assignments and examinations required in the course. The standards of evaluation are identical for all students in the course. A Pass or “P” will be assigned for performance that is equivalent to a letter grade of “C” or better. A student who fails to perform satisfactorily will be assigned a No Pass or “NP.”

Students who are assigned a “P” will receive both course credit and unit credit. However, units earned as “P” shall not apply toward fulfilling the requirements of a student’s major except if the student:

  • earned a “P” in a course and subsequently declares a major in which those units are required or
  • earns a “P” in a course required for a major that is offered only on a “pass/no pass” basis.

Students may take up to fifteen (15) units of “pass/no pass” courses to apply toward meeting graduation requirements.

Units earned as “P” or “NP” shall not be included in the determination of the student’s grade point average.

After the deadline, the only justification for a change from “pass/no pass” to a letter grade is institutional error or extraordinary circumstances that require approval through the college petition process. (SBCCD Administrative Procedure 4232)

More information, instructions and forms may be obtained in the Admissions and Records Office (CCR-111).